• Triangles in black and white

    Hi everyone!


    For the letter T I decided to go with triangles, but not the stamped kind... no, I painted patches of polish, cut them up in slivers and stuck those to my nails. What that looked like, you ask? Like this:

    indoors, no flash

    As a preparation I painted patches of two coats of polish on my silicone mat with blacks in several finishes:
    • a creme: Cirque Memento Mori
      (one coat was enough for full opacity but I wanted them a bit thicker so I could handle them better)
    • a linear holo: Colors by Llarowe Black Gold, Texas Tea
    • a glitter: Illamasqua Creator
    • a scattered holo: Ozotic 623
    and a coat of a normal, not fast drying top coat for extra sturdiness. And while the patches were drying I painted all my nails white using OPI Angel with a Leadfoot as I intended to do two nails with triangles on each hand.

    When everything had dried I peeled the patches from the mat and cut them to small triangles. After all that was done and I had four piles of polish slivers I painted another this coat of AwaL on my ring finger and started placing some triangles on it with tweezers. I think I tried about three or four times (each attempt followed by removing all polish from my nail and painting it white again) until I finally managed to get three triangles on without crumpling or folding them and in a pattern that I didn't completely hate. Looking back at the process I should have cut the triangles smaller but at the time I decided one nail on each hand was enough and since I used triangles of Memento Mori, Black Gold Texas Tea and Creator I decided to use the fourth polish as an accent nail so I removed the white and painted my middle finger with two coats of Ozotic 623. I painted the triangles with two coats of Seche Vite to even everything out as much as possible and all other nails received one coat to prolong the wear time.

    I took a picture with flash hoping to show the different finishes a bit more (if you click on the image it zooms in a bit). Left top is linear holo, left bottom is glitter and right is creme.

    indoors, with flash
    And of course the bottle shot:

    OPI Angel with a Leadfoot, Ozotic 623, Cirque Memento Mori, Colors by Llarowe Black Gold Texas Tea, Illamasqua Creator

    I have to admit the entire design doesn't live up to the idea I had in my mind and it was so much more annoying than I ever expected it to be, but I don't hate this manicure. In fact, I actually like it. It's just that I envisioned it way more nicer than it turned out to be. So I guess this is one for the "I have to redo this someday" list. Do you like my manicure?


    The other manicures for the letter T are:



    And last but not least Black & White is an SBB Challenge entry so that's another one crossed out:



    Ozotic 623 and Cirque Colors Memento Mori were bought from Pretty Polish.
    Colors by Llarowe Black Gold, Texas Tea was bought from Hypnotic Polish.

    8 comments:

    1. Replies
      1. Thanks Maria! It really means a lot that you keep encouraging me to show things that I'm not 100% happy with, only to find out others do like it :)

        Delete
    2. Me too, me too! I think it looks really edgy but also VERY sophisticated! I did something similar with cutting polish once but I think I made mine far too thick, it did not have such a pretty look as yours does. I know what you mean about expecting more. I get that too, especially when you can really 'see' the idea in your head before you begin but it is very pretty! <3 Also thank you so so much for the blogiversary congratulations and lovely comments! xx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Ithi! I've always thought black and white look very sophisticated together and that was what I had in mind for this design. I guess part of my vision managed to get transferred after all :)

        Delete
    3. I tried this with a glitter type polish... Mine was bumpy and meh. Yours looks so much better.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I guess it all comes down to the polishes you chose. My glitter was pretty fine so maybe that did the trick?

        Delete
    4. Oh my goodness that's so cool!! <3 Dude, that Illamasqua is so gorgeous! O_O

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks hun! Illamasqua polishes usually are gorgeous but oh, so expensive :'(

        Delete

    Please let me know what you think. I may not reply right away but I will get back to you in the end... promised!