• And then there were four

    Hi everyone!


    Yesterday tragedy struck... and I might even put that word in capitals: TRA-GE-DY! What happened, you ask? Let me tell you (make sure to have some tissues close by and maybe something strengthening, like chocolate).

    I was happily sitting at my desk, working on something I can't even remember and I still don't know what I did exactly but my laptop slid off my desk. I tried to catch it and I managed to tear off both my thumbnails beyond the free edge while rescuing said piece of hardware from death by gravity <Chopin's Funeral March starts to play> After I recovered from the shock and assessed the damage it was clear there was no way to save my poor nails so I filed away the sharp bits that were sticking out and was left with two ultra nubs that were still covered in the polish of the manicure I did earlier that day... and that I didn't take pictures of yet! I decided to take pictures of the remaining four fingers and leave my thumb out of the picture. You wouldn't want to see all the redness and band aids anyway, right? So this is the first of many manicures without a thumb:

    indoors, no flash

    The colors were actually inspired by a manicure Michelle of Ordinary Misfit did. I loved the combination of white-with-thingies and black so I decided to do a manicure in those colors myself. So I dug out the bottles I wanted to use and started by painting my thumb, index and pinky with two medium coats of Il était un vernis Pretty in Ink, a lovely pure black scattered holo.

    Next I used three coats of Pretty & Polished Catnip, Sweet Babies!, a white creme-jelly polish with small and tiny dark-copper colored glitters. This is actually the first polish with thingies in it that was added to my stash and I still love it just as much as when I first laid eyes on it :) It dries a bit bumpy but just one coat of Seche Vite is enough to even that out if necessary.

    I finished by stamping an image from MoYou London Pro 02 using Hit the Bottle As Black As Night (since Pretty in Ink wasn't opaque enough to stamp with) and painting a coat of Seche Vite on all my nails.

    As usual here's the bottle shot:

    Il était un vernis Pretty in Pink, Pretty & Polished Catnip, Sweet Babies!, Hit the Bottle As Black As Night

    I still love this combination of colors, but my picture looks SO weird without my thumb! I guess I'll just have to get used to it, at least for a while until my ultra nubs have reached the normal nub stage. Oh, and in case you were wondering... removing the polish from my freshly broken nails was an experience I would only recommend to people who enjoy having root canals, it HURTS!!

    Last but not least the moral of this story: put your laptop on the floor so it can't fall and you won't have to catch it ;)



    Il était un vernis Pretty in Ink and Pretty & Polished Catnip, Sweet Babies! were bought from The Nailista Shop.
    Hit the Bottle As Black As Night was bought from Hypnotic Polish.

    6 comments:

    1. Oohhh no! Your beautiful thumbs! Sorry about your painful mishap. Your mani looks beautiful! I love the little gold specks on the white polish under the stamping. It really adds some lovely dimension.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Rachelle! I never really liked polishes with glitters in them but after I found out what they look like when I stamp over them I find them in my shopping basket more and more ;)

        Delete
    2. I don't like thumb nails... They seem more prone to breaking than the rest. My one is tearing ugh. But I do like the mani, I do feel like you've done something similar before though?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Usually my thumbs are the strongest nails I have. My indexes are the ones that break/crack/tear most. But I guess there aren't many nails that can survive a falling laptop ;)
        I didn't remember it but I checked and you're right! That stamp is just perfect for showing off the base underneath.

        Delete
    3. I'm so sorry for you loss! :( I hate when such awful things have to happen! I really hope you have a speedy and fast nail regrowth. Give them lots of love. I love the mani, that is such a sweet looking glitter and it looks lovely under the stamping!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Ithi! I'm pampering the nubbies with lots of TLC, Lemony Flutter, daily massages, cuticle oils etc. so I hope they respond by growing faster. And if not, I'll have the most taken care of shorties in the world ;)

        Delete

    Please let me know what you think. I may not reply right away but I will get back to you in the end... promised!