• 52 week nail art challenge - 22: Science

    Hi everyone!


    The 22nd installment of the 52 week nail art challenge is Science... and I was totally lost when it came to thinking up an idea for science nail art. So I turned to Google and looked at science-related pictures. After some clicking I ended up with a series of pictures of DNA strands under a very strong microscope. I haven't been able to figure out why but all of them were dark blue with lighter, almost glowing blueish strands (maybe a lighting thing or coloring to help them stand out better). And there it was, the inspiration for my nails:


    I started out by painting all my nails with three thin coats of Cadillacquer By Night, a gorgeous dark blue polish with some scattered holo bits and blue flakies that almost seem to disappear but surprise you when you least expect it. It was released way back in 2014 and it has been patiently waiting for me to notice it... (of course I tried it out before but this is the first time it's the star of a manicure). It's a bit sheer at the first coat but you can totally reach full opacity in two coats if you're not as stingy as I am 😉

    When the base was dry, I used Color Club Angel Kiss and Color Club Over The Moon to stamp DNA strands from Cheeky Jumbo plate 10 Happy Nails. I tried to do the outside of the strands in Angel Kiss (the lightest of the two) and the inside in Over The Moon, as in the pictures I used as inspiration the strands weren't uniformly colored. In the image above both polishes show up as mostly silver holos but in real life you could actually see the subtle gradient (until direct light hit it at which point it would light up in very strong rainbows).

    I didn't want to cover up too much of the beautiful base so I left it at that. One coat of Seche Vite and after that I was on the prowl for rays of sunshine to gaze at the holo rainbows that appeared. Really, if you're looking for great holo polishes that stamp perfectly, look no further than the first two Halo Hues collections (the later ones might be great too but I don't own them) 😊


    The line-up:
    Cadillacquer By Night, Color Club Angel Kiss, Color Club Over The Moon


    I have to admit I tend to struggle with the prompts that I can't relate to on a personal level. On the other hand, I usually can't resist a challenge so that kind of prompts really makes me want to do something recognizable. I hope I succeeded in that with this manicure. What do you think?

    0 comments → 52 week nail art challenge - 22: Science

    Post a Comment

    Please let me know what you think. I may not reply right away but I will get back to you in the end... promised!