• My polish, your plate - 9

    Hi everyone!


    It's the first Friday in May (wow... one-third of 2020 is over already?!) so it's time again for My polish, your plate, where Michelle and I take turns in picking a polish or an image of a stamping plate and after that both of us can go wild creating a manicure with the choices. No rules except the polish has to be a prominent color in the resulting nails. This week Michelle picked the polish, shimmery periwinkle OPI Show Me Your Tips! and I selected the swirly image at the bottom of Hello Maniology plate BM-406. Let me show you what I did with them:


    I started by painting three coats of OPI Show Me Your Tips! (SMYT) on my thumb, ring finger and pinky. Yep, you read that right: three coats... it's that sheer! Apart from the opacity it's a pretty polish: periwinkle blue and chockfull of tiny silver shimmers that sparkle like crazy after adding a glossy topcoat.

    The remaining two nails were a happy accident. I didn't really know what to do as stamping with SMYT was a no go and the image I picked wasn't suitable for reverse stamping. I had sort of resigned to doing a white base and stamping the swirls in darker blue when I noticed essie Suite Retreat standing not too far away from the darker blue I had in mind. I wondered how close it was to SMYT and carried it to my desk, along with white OPI Alpine Snow and the dark blue one that shall remain anonymous for now 😉 It turned out Suite Retreat is a bit darker than SMYT but definitely in the same color family, so I placed some drops of Alpine Snow, Suite Retreat and SMYT on my mat, pushed my stamper in it and rolled it on the nail of my middle finger... and I was looking at a really nice smoosh marble! I immediately shifted gears and decided to stamp over the smoosh in white. But the white parts in the smoosh would render the white stamp invisible, so I painted a few strokes of SMYT on my stamper and rolled it over the smoosh to tint the entire nail a bit. All that I needed to do after that was stamp the chosen image using Painted Polish Blanc Slate and one accent nail was done. My index was done the same way and I finished with a generous coat of Seche Vite to bring back the shimmer of SMYT.


    The usual mugshot:
    OPI Show Me Your Tips!, OPI Alpine Snow, essie Suite Retreat, Painted Polish Blanc Slate


    Like I said, I had something completely different in mind when I started this manicure. But I really like where experimenting took me as these nails scream Spring to me and I don't think my original idea would have fitted the season this good. Oh well, perhaps I'll make that version one day, when it's Winter 😊

    Are you as curious as I am to see Michelle's version? Here's a link to her corner of the Internet.

    2 comments:

    1. WOW! I always love reading the process of how you get somewhere when it wasn't what you had in mind. This turned out beautifully!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Michelle! Describing what I did is one of the main reasons I keep on blogging. I actually learned my first steps in nail art that way 😉

        Delete

    Please let me know what you think. I may not reply right away but I will get back to you in the end... promised!