• #52weeknailchallenge - week 35: Splatter

    Hi everyone!


    This week's challenge is splatter... a technique I haven't tried before so my brain was already thinking of what plates to use. But I had the entire afternoon basically to myself today as my husband was running a (lengthy) errand and I'm on standby duty for work so I have to remain close to phone, email and computer, so I figured I could try a real splatter manicure and I would be able to clean up the mess and stamp something if it turned out disastrous. In the end I had to clean up some mess but I'm quite proud of the outcome. Let me present my very first splatter manicure:


    When trying to pick colors, white and black were the easy ones but I couldn't decide on what to combine them with until I walked toward the kitchen for a drink and grabbed a vest to wrap around me as it felt a bit chilly. Then it hit me, I was wearing a white shirt and black jeans and the vest was a fluffy taupe (I know, I'm boring... most of my clothes are unicolor ;) The sparkly bit represents the one piece of jewelry I always wear, my wedding band.

    In the kitchen I managed to find a straw and back behind my desk I grabbed white OPI Alpine Snow, black OPI Lady in Black, taupe colored Catrice ICONails 27 Lana Del Grey and champagne gold Cirque Colors Cin Cin. I covered everything around me in old newspapers, put my hair in a ponytail, wrapped my ring finger in scotch tape and covered the skin around my nail with liquid latex... I was ready for my experiment!

    I started by painting my ring finger with two coats of OPI Alpine Snow followed by a coat of Seche Vite to help it dry. I then cut the straw in three pieces, put all bottles in a row and started by dunking a piece of straw in Lana Del Grey, wiping off the excess and blowing the polish on my ring finger. I repeated it with Cin Cin and Lady in Black and that was it... I was amazed at how easy it was!

    I finished my manicure by painting two coats of Lana Del Grey on my thumb and index, two coats of Alpine Snow on my middle finger and two coats of Lady in Black on my pinky, and after some more waiting, a generous coat of Seche Vite on all nails.


    The polishes that totally matched my outfit ;)

    Catrice ICONails 27 Lana Del Grey, OPI Alpine Snow, Cirque Colors Cin Cin, OPI Lady in Black


    I can't believe I haven't tried a splatter manicure before. It was SO easy to do! Sure, it's a bit messy but the newspapers took care of most of that. One thing I would change next time (apart from the colors of course) is the straw. My straw was quite big and I think the big black blobs wouldn't have happened with a narrower straw. But for a first attempt... definitely happy with the result! What do you think? And have you tried the splatter technique yourself?


    Also, I think this definitely takes care of both Splatter (40) and Inspired by Favorite Piece of Clothing  (21) from the SBB NailChallenge... checked and crossed off!


    4 comments:

    1. I cannot believe that you did an actual SPLATTER!? Where is the real Joyce and what have you done with her??

      I do like it though. It's everything but boring.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's all your fault with dragging her out of her comfort zone and making her do all sorts of challenges... now she can't find her comfort zone to sneak back in to ;)

        Thanks Juanita <3

        Delete
    2. Look at you!!!! Throwing out real splatters like it's nothing! I must admit I quite like a real splatter too but for a one colour 'splatter' the stamping really helps. I just love your colour combination and that splatter is perfect. love it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hehe, you can do multi-color splatters by just double- or triple stamping :D
        But it's just more fun (and a lot messier) to do a real one with a straw and all *wants to start searching for straws right now*

        Delete

    Please let me know what you think. I may not reply right away but I will get back to you in the end... promised!